Thursday, March 20, 2014

American Girl Doll Wall Hanger

I have four American Girl dolls, two dolls from Our Generation, Bitty Twins, and two dolls I made into boy dolls  that I use as models for photo shoots for the doll clothes I make and sell.  Also, the granddaughters play with all the dolls too. Finding a place to store them and protect them has been challenging.  I was keeping some in my sewing storage closet and some on my sewing counter.  When my daughter and granddaughters went to the American Girl Doll store in St. Louis last summer she sent me a photo of the AG brand doll hanger that was hanging in the girls bathroom.  I didn't want to pay the price for that many dolls.  I was telling my husband about it and he said he would make me one.  So, finally this week he made me a doll hanger to hold eight dolls. ***NOTE - please do not copy and paste these photos as your own - these are copyrighted.




 He purchased a 1 x 6 board from Lowes.  He round the edges with 1/2 round over bit.  He used 5/16 inch wooden dowels (cut each one about 3 1/2 inches long) and drilled the holes at 30 degree angle. Holes are drilled four inches apart all the way across.  He then glued the wooden dowels into the drilled holes.
PHOTO BELOW ADDED ON 5/7/2016 AFTER ABOVE PHOTO STOLEN from Jodi S. AND CROPPED OUT  MY WATERMARK TO SELL AS HER OWN. Now have watermark running through doll hanger.

 It works for 18 inch doll and 15 inch doll.
 I think it turned out nice.  I didn't want him to paint it.  I was afraid by taking the dolls on and off the pegs when I needed to try on doll clothes and for photo shoots their arms might rub and some of the paint would get on them. Sorry they are not all dressed.  I was in a hurry to get this posted.




Below are some updated photos with some of my new dolls






Hope this written tutorial helps you  in making one for your dolls. Feel free to ask questions or leave feedback.  As always, thanks for reading.

GiGi

5 comments:

  1. Great Idea. I am going to try this for daughters room. At her height. Or maybe as her bed headboard. Really Smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome idea. Thank you for sharing :) Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long was the 1x6 board to hold 8 dolls? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long was the 1x6 board to hold 8 dolls? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete